Those who know me, know that I've been on a plant-based journey for about a year. What that means (for me) is that I eat whole-foods-plant-based about 80% of the time, and try to limit my meat,dairy, eggs, and fat the other 20% of the time. I love seafood and CHEESE and filet mignon and could never give these foods up completely. But I can limit them. So I eat pretty clean during the week and give in to a little meat and cheese on the weekends.
Dave gave me a smoker for my birthday (he's thanking his lucky stars that his wife prefers cooking utensils and apparatus over diamonds), so this dish came about last weekend because 1) it was the weekend! and 2) I had just come home from a trip and had brussels sprouts and mushrooms that were going to expire in the fridge and 3) it was still pretty healthy with just a bit of meat thrown in for texture and flavor. I've found my new favorite way to cook brussels sprouts and mushrooms!
My husband (who DOES NOT like Brussels Sprouts) really liked these.
1 lb Brussel Sprouts (bottom stems sliced off, and cut in half)
6 Portabellini Mushrooms (small Portabellas) stems removed and quartered
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
Salt & Pepper to taste
Pappy's Seasoning (or another grilling blend)
Pancetta (thinly sliced)
Heat a smoker to 250 degrees or light a grill and move the coals to one side, so you can cook on the other. If using a grill, you want a lower heat so use less coals. Shoot for 250 F if you have a thermometer.
Put the Brussels Sprouts halves and the Portabella quarters in a large ziplock bag with the Olive Oil, salt, pepper and grilling blend (I used Pappy's), seal and shake to coat evenly. Can be done up to several hours ahead. Pour into a foil tray. Chop the pancetta into small pieces (as seen above) and spread over the top.
Place in the smoker, I have an electric, so after I put the veggies in I added about 1/2 cup of mesquite chips. If using a grill, put some mesquite (or other) chips in a foil tray on top of the coals on one side of the grill, then put the tray with the veggies on the other side for indirect heat.
Let it hang out in the smoker or grill at 250F for about an hour, then add more chips for smoking and cook another 1/2 hour. It's done when the brussels sprouts are tender. Mine took 1 and 1/2 hours, but if it's not done for you at that time, give it another 1/2 hour.